Borough Coat of Arms

Bridport Coat of ArmsThe arms of the Borough, granted in 1623, are “Gules, a castellated post or gateway with flanking turrets, masoned and battlemented arg; in the open port three spinning cogs or hooks in pale, in chief a lion passant guardant crowned, between two fleurs-de-lys or, in case barry wavy arg. and azure.  (“Heraldic terms: Gulers:  Red (background); Arg: silver (tower); Pale: enclosed (cogs in gateway), In Chief: above; Or: gold or yellow, Passant: sideways, Guardant: on guard, Azure: blue.)